Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Latest: Quest for the Best Skin

I've added a brand new (well, about 3 months new) product to my arsenal of skincare products.  I've been using Maxi-Peel, a highly chemical exfoliator.


From the Website:


“Maxi-Peel exfoliants have the most potent combination of Tretinoin and Hydroquinone that is known to be an effective way to treat and prevent mild, moderate, or even severe cases of pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads. Each solution penetrates the pores to reduce breakouts, and eliminate acne-causing bacteria. They can also whiten dark spots, blemishes, and other discoloration such as freckles and age spots to achieve a younger looking skin. The exfoliant line comes in three different variants:1, 2, 3 for mild, moderate, and severe cases of acne, respectively.

Anti-Acne Depigmenting Agent It contains 0.025% Tretinoin and 2% Hydroquinone, two ingredients which, when combined, effectively removes dead skin cells, blackheads, whiteheads and pimples. It also whitens complexion. It is dermatologist-tested safe for use especially among women from 18-35 years old.”
So far, this has probably been the best product for fading any dark marks I have ever used.  It's amazing in that regard.  However...I literally can peel huge sheets of my face off ( I will spare you the pictures of that).  This is definitely something that should only be used if you have the luxury of laying low for a few days, or you just don't really care about going out with huge portions of your face flaking off. Be sure to moisturize!  
 It is strong and it stinks.  The smell is similar to alcohol, and can burn a bit.  I have gone for two weeks of using it 3 times a week.  Then I took a month off.  I'm currently on my second cycle of 3 times a week.  Right now...my face looks horribly red and dry...but I know that on the other side of that ( I can even see some results right now), I will have a noticeably more even skin tone.  Since I began using this, I use less makeup, and even choose to go without it sometime. I have been able to go without concealer if i chose too.  Despite the icky phase, I am super happy with the results.




2 comments:

  1. hey Jamie,
    I have terrible discoloration and blemishes and have used darn near every product under the sun to rid of the horrid spots permanently. Either the products make my skin worse or they work for a moment for a temporary fix. I have always been scared to use hydroquinone because of its bleaching effects and scared to come out looking like Michael Jackson (RIP). Do you recommend this as a spot treatment or full face coverage? I work alot and would hate to have to pound on the makeup to distract the look of peeling. What do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha! I was nervous too...didn't want to have the mask effect where my face was way lighter than my neck and chest. I have not noticed that at all. I usually swipe my forehead, and cheeks (that is where I tend to get breakouts/discooloration). It works great on the hyperpigmentation while leaving me with my natural skin color elsewhere.

    Honestly, the peeling is quite noticable, but I didn't start with the most gentle fomulation (#1). I would advise other people to start with #1 and use less frequently (maybe one ever 10 days) to avoid the full on peeling...that and use a good moisturizer afterward!

    ReplyDelete