Saturday, December 29, 2012

Django Unchained...My Thoughts...

I'm in no way a movie reviewer, but I love film and music, so occasionally I'll post about what I thought about what I've seen/heard.


 
The Good:
The acting by all the major characters was awesome.  Leonardo DiCaprio and Christoph Waltz stole every scene they were in…and their scenes together:  Amazing.  Jamie Foxx was great as Django, as well.

This was a beautiful film to look at. 

The storyline was great.  I liked the progression of the main characters. 

The scenes that were written to cause a chuckle were pretty funny, and the scenes of the inhumanities of slavery were almost unbearable to watch, which means they were done well.  There is a slave fighting scene that I actually had to look away from.  I was completely uncomfortable, and I’m sure that was the point.

Samuel L Jackson.  He was a horrible, awful person.  I hated his character.  He was THAT good, lol.

The Bad:
This movie could have used some tighter editing.  At 2 hours and 45 minutes, there was a point when I began to FEEL how long it was, and felt my mind wandering a bit.  In the movies defense, it’s pretty quickly pulled me back in.

Sometimes the movies move between almost slapsticky comedy and extreme brutality were a little jarring for me.  I didn’t always find it seamless.

I’m on the fence about my feelings of a Rick Ross song in a movie regarding Slavery.

I think Kerry Washington’s character was a bit underwritten.  She could have been played by anyone.  There was nothing really in the character that let Kerry shine.


Overall, I really liked this movie.  I was a bit nervous going in…would it be exploitative or campy?  And I don’t think it was.  I think it’s an extremely well-acted film, and while the language and visuals are often very unpleasant, so was slavery.  I don’t believe any of in a distasteful way.
 
If you've seen the movie...what are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment